The first game at Yankee Stadium was on April 18,1923, when Babe Ruth christened the new Park by hitting a 3-run homerun in a 4-1 Yankees win vs. the Boston Red Sox. 74,200 were in attendance that historic day as the Yankees started their journey to becoming the greatest Baseball and Sports franchise in the history of Sports. Today marks the final “Opening Day” at the “House That Ruth Built”, and will be the beginning of a very exciting Baseball Season here in the beautiful Bronx, New York. A Yankee victory will be a great way to start a new journey by the New York Yankees, a trip that will hopefully lead to the Yankees 27th World Championship! Best Wishes to the whole Yankee Organization…The 2008 Baseball Season will be fun to follow. Go Yankees !!!
note: Today’s Opening Day, Blue Jays vs. Yankees, game was “rained-out” !!!
The game has been re-scheduled for tomorow night [Tuesday, April 1, 2008] at 7:05 p.m….So, Opening Day becomes “Opening Night” in the Bronx tomorrow at 7 pm…The wait continues for one more day! Go Yankees! Number 27 in 2008 !!!
Blue Jays Yankees
1. David Eckstein (SS) 1. Johnny Damon (LF)
2. Shannon Stewart (LF) 2. Derek Jeter (SS)
3. Alex Rios (RF) 3. Bobby Abreu (RF)
4. Vernon Wells (CF) 4. Alex Rodriguez (3B)
5. Frank Thomas (DH) 5. Jason Giambi (1B)
6. Lyle Overbay (1B) 6. Robinson Cano (2B)
7. Aaron Hill (2B) 7. Jorge Posada (C)
8. Marco Scutaro (3B) 8. Hideki Matsui (DH)
9. Gregg Zaun (C) 9. Melky Cabrera (CF)
Roy Halladay (16-7, 3.71 ERA – ’07) Chien-Ming Wang (19-7, 3.70 ERA – ’07)
Notes before the game:
– Weather Forecast in New York: 45 degrees…Cloudy, with 30% chance of Rain…Just started to rain, as of 10:40 a.m….Wind, South at 6 mph…Humidity 56%
– Long-time public address announcer for the New York Yankees, Bob Sheppard, 97, will miss Opening Day because of health problems. Mr. Sheppard first started with the Yankees in 1951. His graceful voice echoing throughout the Stadium will be greatly missed. Hopefully, he will be back soon.
– Bobby Murcer will also miss the final Opening Day at the old Yankee Stadium. He is not feeling 100%, so he will remain at his home in Oklahoma. Bobby hopes to be back as soon as he is feeling well enough. Are prayers are with both Bob’s, Mr. Sheppard, and Mr. Murcer, that both will be back at the Stadium soon!
– Today [March 31st] is Chien-Ming Wang’s birthday. He is 28 years old, and we all know what he wants for his birthday…..A Big Yankee Win !!! Happy Birthday, Chien-Ming. Best Wishes for many more!
– After 12 years of winning baseball with Joe Torre as Manager of the New York Yankees, another Joe hopes to continue the winning Yankee Tradition, Joe Girardi. The Joe Girardi era begins today, and returning to the Bronx after a great Spring Training Camp, where all the players reported in excellent shape and are ready to have a big year. We wish Joe and the Yankees all the best for a World Championship Season in 2008 !!!
I hope to “Live-Blog”most of the game. So, all are welcome to join in the fun…I look forward to all your comments, and a Yankee win !!!